An overview of our learning structure
Footscray West Primary School values learning within a supportive environment to ensure the healthy development of every child, so that each has, the knowledge, skills, and resiliency to be successful in a rapidly changing world. Teachers, leaders, support staff, students and community members all work together as a learning community that is dedicated to caring and support, active participation, and positive expectations for all students.
The school adopts the following principles:
• Every child has the capacity to learn.
• The development of positive attitudes to learning, life and self.
• Developing each child’s potential.
• Promoting the achievement of excellence.
• Effective teaching and learning is achieved through staff working in a team approach.
• Fostering cooperation through responsible behaviour and self-discipline.
• That education is a partnership between students, parents and staff.
Our students experience an engaging curriculum, which develops content, concepts and skills sequentially and is aligned to AusVELS. Our students learn more effectively because their learning needs are recognised and instruction is differentiated. They understand when, how and why they are assessed, and how to use quality feedback to support their learning.
Literacy and Numeracy are the foundations of a rich curriculum complimented by the following:
• Physical Education
• Digital Technologies
• Integrated Studies incorporating History, Geography, Science & Economics
• Soundgarage – Musical Futures
• Reading Recovery
• Outdoor Education
• Leadership development
• Intensive Swimming
• Perceptual Motor (PMP)
A variety of extra curricula activities are also provided, as is support for students with special requirements.
We are proud that our students are confident and that their needs are supported by our professional learning community.