An overview of our learning structure
Teaching and Learning – Curriculum Overview
Footscray West Primary School values learning within a supportive environment to ensure the healthy development of every child, so that each has, the knowledge, skills, and resiliency to be successful in a rapidly changing world. Teachers, leaders, support staff, students and community members all work together as a learning community that is dedicated to caring and support, active participation, and positive expectations for all students.
The school adopts the following principles:-
- Every child has the capacity to learn.
- The development of positive attitudes to learning, life and self.
- Developing each child’s potential.
- Promoting the achievement of excellence.
- Effective teaching and learning is achieved through staff working in a team approach.
- Fostering cooperation through responsible behaviour and self-discipline.
- That education is a partnership between students, parents and staff.
Our students experience an engaging curriculum, which develops content, concepts and skills sequentially and is aligned to the Victorian Curriculum. Our students learn more effectively because their learning needs are recognised and instruction is differentiated. They understand when, how and why they are assessed, and how to use quality feedback to support their learning.
Literacy and Numeracy are the foundations of a rich curriculum complimented by the following:
- Specialist classes in
- Performing Arts
- Physical Education
- Soundgarage – Musical Futures
- Integrated Studies incorporating
- Civics and Citizenship
- Economics and Business
- Digital Technologies built into integrated studies and coding in mathematics
- Capabilities developed throughout all learning areas:
- Critical and Creative Thinking
- Personal and Social
- Literacy Support
- Outdoor Education
- Leadership development
- Intensive Swimming
- Perceptual Motor (PMP)
A variety of extra curricula activities are provided, as is support for students with special requirements.
We are proud that our students are confident and that their needs are supported by our professional learning community.
Our instructional model complements the curriculum and connects to practices that have a high impact on student learning.
‘From Classroom Instruction That works: Research –based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement, 2nd ed. By C.B. Dean, B. Stone, E. Hubbell, and H. Pitler © 2012 McREL International. Reprinted with permission.”